Friday, October 23, 2009

Hush Now Sweet Prince

So there was a death in my family this last week and I'm a little broken up about it. I knew this day would come and honestly I'm a little surprised it didn't happen sooner. But it still leaves a void of emptiness in my heart.

On Sunday afternoon October 18th my Bacardi glass died.

It's hard to be too sad, he led a good life, being the glass that I used for mixing all my drinks since my junior year in college. He'd been with me in the best of times, like when we would party with friends for whatever occasion, or have a few drinks before going out. He was also there in the worst of times, like when I was so depressed that I would start drinking on a saturday night and instead of going out I would black out by myself. But he was a good drink glass, and I'm going to miss him.

He was received as a promotional glass when I bought a bottle of bacardi during my junior year of college, during the height of the Bacardi and Cola marketing campaign, which coincided with a heavy rum drinking phase at the time. He managed to survive my entire senior year of college, in which I used and abused him alot. After college when I was still drinking pretty regularly on the weekends he was always there, surviving every spill, drop, dishwashing.

In the last couple years as my alcohol consumption has dropped way down, but Bacardi was still there, acting as a water glass by my bedside, always keeping a vigilant watch over my not sleeping form. Like a security blanket I knew he was always there to quench my thirst in the middle of the night. And now he's gone and it's not the same.

In the end it was something minor that ended his life, he got tipped over on the counter while I was washing dishes. And he shattered, laying there in several pieces like a prince of men who was just hit by a car, or a talking egg who fell from a wall. I'll miss you buddy, but there will always be the memories.

1 comment:

katie b said...

oh Lord have mercy...you're so silly