Thursday, December 31, 2009

I understand but I also don't

On my way back from teh Christmas holiday in DC. I was on a plane and the young black guy sitting next to me was having terrible stomach problems. He was going to tough it out but at the last minute he had the stewardess ask the captain to return to the gate. I completely understand, the kid was a marine and he needed to report the next morning to a base out here in SD. But the other passengers around us who didn't see him doubling over said he was faking it and asking him to tough it out, basically actiing like complete and total jackasses. Part of me really wanted to tell them all off and then start breaking heads. Show a little sympathy folks, if you were doubling over in stomach pain and couldn't keep any food or water down I'd imagine that the last place you'd want to be is on a 5 hour plane ride.

So we pulled back into the gate and he got off the plane, no big deal right? Wrong. Wayy wrong. The first thing that happens is people start talking about him being a terrorist, and wondering if he took all his things with him, two passengers were particualrly adamant about it. So the Captain and the stewardesses come back and talk to me about if he was carrying anything with him and that kind of stuff. I talked to the guy for a minute, and if he was a terrorist it wsa seriously the best diguise I've ever seen, he was a nice kid who was black and kept looking at his cellphone that had a picture of a corvette on it. He was wearing big black sweatpants that didn't fit, and he was completely polite to everyone the whole time.

So he gets off the plane, and people are freaking out, making sure his luggage from under the plane is pulled. At least two of the passengers are freaking out talking about terrorism saying that, "They want to wake up tomorrow" and giving the stewardess and gate control folks a hell of a time. This one woman gets in my face and starts quizzing me and I calmly told her that indeed he took everything with him and nothing was wrong. Well that wasn't good enough, her and her husband had to make a big scene and storm off the plane rather then quietly asking to be rebooked. I understand that this is days after a botched terrorist attack, but at least treat people trying to help with dignity and respect.

Another guy starts insisting that he needs to get off the plane to get food and that they just passed new laws that should allow it. Christ buddy, those laws say an hour and a half first off, and second off you've been on the plane for 35 minutes tops, including all the time out on the runway and the turnaround. I highly doubt you are starving after a 35 minute delay on a 5+ hour flight.

I can't stand people who make already confusing or stressful situations more problematic. I have absolutely no regard for people spazzing out and being inconsiderate, flying is stressful enough folks. If you want to get off the plane because you fear for your life then fine, just don't freak out and start accusing and questioning. If you are hungry after 35 minutes then maybe you should have planned a little better in the terminal when you were sitting there reading that copy of "Swank" for an hour and a half before the flight boarded (I might be a little more sympathetic if I hadn't seen you there for so long and you like had to rush to the plane). Lastly, stop being a jackass, sorry your flight was delayed because this guy was doubled over in pain. But that doesn't give you the right to be a d-bag.

Oh and the final result of the whole thing? I little more then an hour and fifteen minute delay, and we landed at 8:45PM, 30 minutes after our scheduled arrival time.

No comments: