Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kentucky Blue Grass

Kentucky was a delightful state to drive through, I thought it was very pretty for the entire drive through and the other enjoyable thing was how polite the drivers were. Completely night and day difference from West Virginia Drivers. It wasn't just one instance but I thought I counted 4 or 5 times where a driver would either move aside or let us in when it wasn't required. It really made the whole drive much quicker and more enjoyable.

As we were driving down the road I couldn't help but think how gorgeous the big fields were. Some of them were Kentucky Blue Grass which in the afternoon light looked quite blue. There were really big barns every couple of miles and horses all over the place. Really really beautiful country side, I don't think I can stress that enough.

As we got to Lexington we turned around and got on a cutback highway so that we could go visit Irvine (which I will write about later) the home of my great grandmother, and one of the places my father lived as a child for a short time. After we got done with our visit in Irvine we got back on the road and went all the way to Louisville, which looked like a fine city with lots and lots of new stores all over the place. Not sure what kind of business they do in Louisville but it looked like it was doing quite well, I know the university is there but the buildup seemed so large.

We spent the night in Louisville, and after we had checked into our hotel we wandered over to a nearby bar and sat outside and had some drinks. We both took note of how polite the wait staff was, and it was not for the first time that day. In Kentucky I first noticed one of the overarching themes of the entire trip, which was that people in the middle of the country just seemed nicer, more polite. They seemed like they were genuinely interested in your well being and making sure you had everything you needed. Case in point would be my experience the next morning. We were staying at the Residential Inn and wanted to leave before the breakfast buffet was open, the staff at the front desk insisted that we go ahead and go up there even though it wasn't ready. When we got up there the lady who was setting up the buffet stopped what she was doing, asked us if there was anything we needed, and even offered to cook us eggs to order. Just remarkable. I was astonished that she was so nice to us, I felt bashful telling her that all I needed was some cereal and milk, but thank you for the offer.

We got on the road after breakfast and headed down the road into Indiana, I somewhat lamented the fact that we didn't get more time to spend in Kentucky.

No comments: