Monday, November 10, 2008

Late Halloween

Halloween came and went again this year and as always I'm kinda confused and overwhelmed. I didn't get crazy or even drunk, in fact all I did was drive my roomates and some friends to a house party. The party was at this extremely nice house, right on the bay, huge, big back yard and large garage. I couldn't believe we were walking into this place to start with it was that nice. But as it turns out it was rented (I have no idea how to rent a house that nice) by 4 guys who periodically throw huge parties. And this was no exception. It was packed both inside and outside with tons and tons of people. I stood there and people watched most of the night until I carted everyone home. But these were some of my observations.

Firstly, just like every year, Halloween is an excuse for girls to wear the absolute trashiest stuff they can find and then go out and get hammered. But I'm not going to dwell on that because it rarely has anything to do with me and it also doesn't affect me at all so why bother complaining or even commenting? I guess it has to be said! But now that I've said it that's all I've got.

The most popular costumes were Michael Phelps (saw 6 people dressed as him), The Joker, and pirates. The best was though that there were two dudes at the party dressed as steve prefontaine, and two dressed as mr. t one with black face on, and one without. My friend went dressed as the devil, all black suit with black tie and small black horns and red eye contacts, and there was a dude at the party dressed as god, completely unplanned, in an all white suit. That was hilarious. There was also a dude dressed as a pedo, he had a hat and creepy moustache and glasses, and a manufactured shirt that had a car and , "My other ride is your 8 year old". As always I'm reminded that if I'm going to dress up I really ought to put more thought into my costume, I'm also reminded how awkward I feel at house parties most of the time. That last bit has nothing to do with Halloween, it's just an observation.

I like Halloween in theory but people tend to get too crazy. I agree with what most people I talked to said which is that its best left to the crazies and going to a house party and drinking lightly or not at all is quite acceptable. I certainly like it more than what I saw, which sometimes involved people getting too much into character and having pseudo confrontations and those kinds of things. I enjoy seeing people be creative with costumes, but I'm glad it only comes once a year. I can only take so much Michael Phelps, and seeing 200 of him is a bit disconcerting.

No comments: