Saturday, August 25, 2007

Vacation!?!??

Ahh yes, finally I've decided to go on vacation for really the first time in about 6 years. The last time I went was the summer before my freshman year in college when I went up and spent time in Canada on a great lake for a family reunion. Needless to say after this first day I have no idea what to do with myself. Forrest and myself rented a beach house down in Virginia Beach. The house is far to large for us and although it is very nice it is also taking a large chunk out of my wallet because so many people backed out. So I have my pick of 4 bedrooms 3 with queen sized beds and a 4th with two sets of bunk beds. Naturally I chose to sleep in the bunkbed room and I got top bunk. When Forrest gets here he'll be sleeping underneath me, just like in college.
I started the day by waking up and diligently packing my bags at 5am. I had no idea what to pack to relax on my beach vacation so I packed two bags of stuff I won't wear/use and I'm sure I'll use one pair of shorts 2-3 shirts and my swim trunks. After packing and putting my bike on the back of my car I sped over to Forrest's house to pick up his little sister Cassidy, who will be joining us for part of the week. After retrieving her I set off at high speed for Sandbridge Virginia. I was afraid that I might be late for my relaxing weekend at the beach. Once we got here in record time, I diligently donned my bathing suit and set forth to the beach. First thing I noticed, was that I'm absolutely terrible at relaxing.
I had to go swimming, I couldn't sit still in my chair or on the blanket. I needed to read and constantly check the time because who knows what I'm missing while I'm relaxing at the beach! I should check my e-mail, jee maybe I should call someone. I'm sure it was driving Cassidy nuts. Time seemed to flow so slowly and just being at the beach was taking an eternity. I even went for a long swim to the pier and back and a lifeguard blew his whistle at me for getting too close to the pier. But I had the last laugh when I flicked him off under the water...yeah that will teach him to be concerned for my safety. I need to practice chilling out.
I had forgotten how wonderful the salt water treats your skin. A cut on my shoulder felt instantly better, and now has healed. The callouses on my hands that have been hurting lately from all the working out suddenly felt soothed. I reminded me of the time before senior year of highschool that I went to the beach a couple days after eating pavement face first when my bike's chain broke. I had road burn all over my face and hand and shoulder, it was really disgusting and unsightly. The salt water cleansed those wounds and made some of the coolest scars I have! And let's be fair, body surfing was hella fun. Also, a bunch of overweight people came to the beach at the same time (they all kicked sand on my blanket as they went by) for a baptism in the ocean.
I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do for this week. I may go surfing for the first time in almost 10 years. I plan to run on the beach in the morning and bike in the afternoon and maybe even play some golf. I would go sailing but I'm afraid my knowledge is less then adequate to rent a boat (since I'm obviously not smart enough to rent a boat much less make it use wind power). Either way I'm going to conquer this relaxing week with a strict workmanlike schedule and plenty of hard work and elbow grease.

No comments: