Thursday, August 30, 2007

Surfin USA

The last time I went surfing it was over 10 years and 100 lbs. ago. Needless to say I don't have the perfect surfer's body or the balance anymore to be a great surfer. So Tuesday morning I work up before dawn and drove to meet my oldest friend. I borrowed one of his surfboards and went to it. Surfing was exactly as I remembered it. Painful. Painful because I was never a good surfer to begin with, and to my complete and total shock I haven't gotten better in the ten years away from surfing. Ideally I would need a bigger surfboard, and the waves could have been bigger. I did manage to catch some waves and it was quite fun. I also managed to catch my forehead on the surfboard when I was going down and I skinned one of my knees on the sand. All in all it reaffirms my belief that the whole reason I was a bad surfer is that I didn't have long hair.

This afternoon Bambi's mom followed us around the golf course. I've never seen such a brave deer, especially considering all the loud golf swings, golf carts, and cursing that was making noise. But it was nice to have an animal companion follow us at her own pace. I wish her all the best.

No comments: