Thursday, March 20, 2008

Impeccable Timing

Sometimes you aren't funny, for me that's all the time and despite that I still try to crack jokes. Every once in awhile my timing with jokes is so unfortunate that it makes me think some cosmic being has a real sense of humor. Today for example I was standing talking to a secretary when the administrative officer walked up to type something. I made a joke that I had made with the AO a bunch of times by asking, "So when am I getting fired?" Not funny right? On any normal day that probably wouldn't be funny but today it took on a life of it's own...

Several hours later I found out that someone had been released because of their conduct. A scandal to be sure, and something that doesn't happen very often. I didn't think much of it because it has nothing to do with me. But several hours later my boss asked me what the hell my problem was. I didn't understand what she was talking about until she said, "The comment you made to the AO this morning? Something you want to tell us?" It took me a second to realize what had happened and once I figured it out I cursed my tremendous timing/unhilariousness. Good call Marty, you accidentally made a joke about being fired several hours before someone got fired and now you are this callous asshole.

So I had to go around and explain to several people that not only was my joke just mistimed (and not funny), but that it had absolutely nothing to do with the other issue. And in fact I hadn't known about that issue prior to making my ill fated comment. Needless to say the person who the AO told about my joke has an unnatural ability to talk at high speeds to everyone about everything. I mean seriously, it's uncanny. So there will be some people who heard what I did without the explanation that I really didn't mean anything, I just have unique timing. Oh well, guess I should know better by now to joke about these things. I still have so much to learn about being an adult sometimes.

No comments: