Monday, May 11, 2009

Boxing is an Art

Boxing, the sweet science, the sport of Kings etc etc. Over the past few months I've been learning how to box and kickbox little by little and it is the most technical sport I've ever participated in. Throwing punches in boxing is more difficult and precise than any golf swing, in fact that's exactly what it reminds me of, is golf. With both you have to pay attention to so many parts of your body it seems almost impossible. A casual observer might just think that boxing is two people going in to clobber one another, but lace up the gloves one time and you'll know that's not the case. Anyone who just throws haymakers at people in a boxing ring is going to get knocked out by someone who boxes. I have spent probably close to 70 hours boxing in the last 5 months, and I'm still such a novice. I spent saturday morning with a coach who continues to break down and redesign all of my punches, not to mention my kicks. It is entirely frustrating and yet it can be such a great feeling when you actually do something well (which just like in golf, is rare).

Power and speed are important in boxing, but both power and speed benifit greatly from form and technical style, in fact they are wasted without proper form. It is difficult to explain but in every punch thrown, and especially with every punch defended there is an art and grace. When you throw a punch, it isn't just about pushing your fist out there, your legs, feet, back, head, shoulders, it all gets involved. I swear as I was learning on Saturday morning, and Tony was yelling at me telling me I was bad and all the things I needed to do, it made me feel like I was back taking lessons with a golf instructor. Sure I was a little bit sweaty, and Tony was much more R rated in his insults, but the thought and process of it all was the same, except I'm trying to hit some guy in the face rather then hit a ball.

Boxing is seriously an art, and when I box it is like a child's finger painting.

No comments: