Monday, May 11, 2009

Time Travel is a Lame Plot Device

So I saw the new Star Trek Movie on Friday, and it was fantastic. Yes I didn't like that they basically wiped out all of the history of Star Trek, and yes I think that Star Trek relies on Time travel way too much to fix plots. But overall I liked the movie, it was colorful and fun and worth the time sitting in the theatre...Although the couple who brought their infant and 3 year old and sat next to me can die in a fire. Something is f'd up when your infant starts crying during the most dramatic moment of the movie (the crying was as predictable as my love of ruit smoothies). Also when your 3 year old child, who keeps complaining and jumping around and kicking the godamn seats, won't stop being distracting it's time to hire a babysitter and realize what is and isn't appropriate for kids to watch. But that aside I liked the movie.

What did annoy me a little bit is that the director opted for the much too common "spin the camera around during action sequences" method of filming. This is nausea inducing since sometimes it makes what I'm sure are wonderfully choreographed but you would never know since the camera moves too fast. One scene actually did make me feel a little dizzy when they refused to keep a steady camera. It's annoying and I'm sure all these directors are doing it for a reason but honestly it makes me want to punch you in the face when you take all the time to set up these dazzling backgrounds and then you attach a camera to the back of a squirrel who is being chased by a fox and that's how you shoot action scenes.

But yes I liked Star Trek, and I would recommend it to anyone who can handle the fact that Star Trek seems so devoid of new ideas that they have to have time travel in every movie to make the plot work. Hey they rebooted James Bond without having to bring time travel into it, how about you take a clue Star Trek. Also the guy playing Dr. McCoy was a little much, it's a reboot not an impersonation...

No comments: