Friday, May 22, 2009

Plane Karma

I'm not sure why but on my recent trip to DC I was seated directly adjacent to small children on each of the four legs of my trip. Either directly behind me or right in front of me. Whatever the case I was forced to listen to a great deal of crying and plenty of temper tantrums. I even had to endure two 4+ hour flights with a child kicking the back of my chair for prety much the whole way. So I'm not sure exactly what I did to deserve that, but apparently the deity that runs plane karma decided that it was my turn to pay for some variety of discretion I must have earned. I must have pissed off a stewardess or caused someone sitting next to me to brush up against my knee. So I'm infinitely sorry for whatever I did, hopefully I've paid my penance by now.

I never once was mad at the kids or mad at the parents for their inability to control said children. I figure that number one, at some point I was a small child on a plane and therefore must have done some of the same things (except kicking seats). Number two I can't imagine a more boring place for a young child than being stuck on a plane for more then an hour. Although it was annoying and uncomfortable getting kicked in the lower back by someone who is 1/10th my size, I felt bad for the small kids, and marvelled at the fact that somehow I managed to have to sit very near to them for every single flight.

Next time I better get to sit next to someone really interesting, or a really attractive girl (which is interesting...to me).

No comments: