Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Great cross county adventure!

So I moved from Washington DC to San Diego California. I packed all my stuff up in a mini-van and set out with a brutal hangover from the night before. My father took the first driving shift and the route we planned was thus.
Took 270 up through Maryland and get on 70 west. We took 70 west into West Virgina until it hit 68 West and got on 68 till it hit 79 and went on down through Charleston, WV.

In Charleston we picked up 64 and drove till just before Lexington, KY and then we took the Bert T Combs Mountain Parkway and some back roads and had dinner in Irvine, KY (more on that later). Then we backtracked and got back on 64 which we took to Louisville, KY and spent the 1st night there.

After Louisville we continued on 64 via Indiana and Illinois, all the way to St. Louis, MO (where we forded the mighty Mississippi river) and there we caught route 44 on down through Missouri and to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (where they are big into Cowboys let me tell you). We spent the second night in Oklahoma City.

From Oklahoma City we caught Route 40 that went through Amarillo, Texas (near the world's largest cross), Moriarty, NM (home of Blackie's bar and grill and near the windiest stretch of highway I've ever seen), into Arizona and the Petrified Forest National Park, and to Flagstaff, AR where we spent the third night.

We began the 4th day by driving on route 17 south from Flagstaff to Phoenix (the 6th largest city in the country) and we took some side roads to get around the traffic in Phoenix and eventually got on Route 10 through the desert to 85 south which also runs through the desert down to route 8 west which surprisingly runs through the desert all the way to San Diego where we found my new home and moved all my worldly possessions into the house.

It was a fantastic trip, I really really enjoyed it and I'm actually a bit sad that it's over. I really enjoyed spending so much time with my father and hearing all his stories and trivia. It's not often that a 25 year old gets to spend so much time with his father, it was a once in a lifetime experience. I saw so much it was so much to digest. But I will write out my experiences state by state because I think I'll always want to remember the trip, and the things I saw. I even took some pictures!

2 comments:

MonkeyMom said...

YAY! I'm so glad you're there (punk)! I can't wait to hear (and see!) about the trip...

:)

NJ Golf Addict said...

Damn you, post your State by State breakdown and your pictures. Don't you give me an excuse about work either.