Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar!

I half watched the Oscars sunday because I was really really bored. But even I couldn't watch it the whole time, it gets boring and stupid, and anytime someone like Bill Maher is on the screen I had to turn away. The one part of the Oscars I routinely watch is the part where they remember all the actors/directors/producers etc who have passed away in the last year. Usually there's always a surprise in there for me, "Oh shit I didn't know he was dead!" But this year for some reason I knew that all the actors that had died were dead. So there wasn't any sudden sadness that I couldn't see an actor again because I had already felt that. At the same time I wish the broadcast had done two things differently.

1) Cut out the singing, I want the hear the applause and it should all be very solemn. I don't care to hear singing when I'm trying to hear people's applause.

2) How about just showing me the main screen with the faces and names, I don't need to see Queen Latifa singing or the orchestra. In my opinion it takes away from all the accomplishments of the people you are trying to honor.

The other thing I noticed is how Charlton Heston didn't get much applause, and all I could think was what the heck. This was one of the most entertaining actors of all time and all I can think is that people got too mixed up in his political message to separate that from what he'd done on screen. I mean I get it that George Clooney said some nasty things about Heston including mocking him about Alzheimer's. I also get that Heston's pro-gun, pro-life viewpoints and other political views bothers the typical Hollywood type. But this is a guy who paved the way for all the actors around today, honor him for what he meant to the business and not what he said outside the screen. He was a Giant in Hollywood, and the least people can do is respect his work, but apparently the politics outweigh his life accomplishments. That bothers me, although I guess it shouldn't. Paul Newman who supported what would typically be called liberal causes gets a curtain call, Heston who supports gun control and white pride gets nothing.

The 5 person talks about how good each person was were also unnecessary and in my opinion a waste of time. Also Mickey Rourke got jobbed, I'm only saying that because The Wrestler was the only movie I saw, I kinda wanted him to win based solely on how weird his acceptance speech would have been.

No comments: