Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Funtastic

The weekend before last I managed to drag myself to two (2) separate social occasions on Saturday. The first was a barbecue with my friend Jim and his gf Sara, I was the only single person there and there were also several small children. I met Jim and Sara through kickball and they are very nice people, also the food spread at this barbecue was amazing. Later in the evening I rode my bike to my friend Rooster's house, where he had a huge party that included several of my friends playing in a band. There were lots of people at the party, including plenty of what I assume were single women. Obviously it's a no brainer on which of these events I had more fun at right?

The band party was cool and all, and I appreciate Rooster inviting me and throwing such a big rager. It really was a great house party, there's no denying that. The band sounded great, and they are 100% of the reason I even went. It was nice to see my friends hard work pay off since they are at band practice all the time. And to be honest they sounded better then all of the cover bands I've seen in the DC area in the last two years. But other then the band my interest in that party was virtually none. I didn't feel like drinking, I had little or no desire to talk to any of the women there, and all in all there wasn't much for me there when I got done hearing the band play, so I left. And I felt like a huge loser afterwards, kinda like that guy who always sat by himself in the lunch room, and then played by himself at recess...I guess I just enjoy playing with myself...wait a minute.

What's weird is that not too long ago I would have jumped at the chance to go to a party like that. In fact I'd have been there with a lampshade on my head and would have made an attempt to be the life of the party. But this time I didn't feel like any of that, and it's been that way for awhile. I've either been steering clear of those kind of social situations or I've been going, saying hi to a couple folks, and leaving early to go sulk at home. I feel like maybe I've lost some of my zest for life perhaps. I mean Saturday nights are for parties right? I should be getting down and having fun like I used to, trying to pick up girls etc... I just don't feel it anymore, and I don't think I have for quite some time now.

Jim and Sara's on the other hand was delightful. Nice conversation, pleasant afternoon weather, and a group of couples that were extremely affable. The only issue was that I felt out of place there as well, being the only single guy I got to meet plenty of married couples and also those that were engaged. I felt like I also should have had a significant other there, someone to introduce to people. Instead it was like, "Hi I'm Marty and this is my umm...favorite pair of shoes." I had a great time, but at the end of it I felt a bit empty, as if I was just kind of a third wheel of the entire party. But despite that feeling I still had a great time, and looking back on it I'm shocked at how much more I enjoyed the barbecue than the house party later in the evening.

No comments: