Thursday, September 27, 2007

Judgment Day is Upon Us

I was casually sitting at home watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the 1990 movie) with my roommate when a commercial came on. Now normally I wouldn't pay one lick of attention to a commercial but what caught my eye was the bright purple shirt that the person pitching men's cologne in this ad was wearing. In fact he was wearing two purple shirts...and some people might have recognized him as recording artist Usher. Apparently Usher is now pushing his own line of beauty products, which is odd to say the least, because I don't normally associate hip-hop artists with delightful fragrances. But why on earth would he be wearing a bright purple shirt, much less two? In fact he's wearing a light pink/purple collared shit underneath a bright purple sweater, which is almost worse in a way. Does Usher hate selling music? If you want to see the ad in question, here's a link to the google search I did.

That's right, the key words used in that google search are, "Usher fragrance commercial martha stewart" Which brings me to my next point, why would Usher want to associate with Martha Stewart in any way shape or form and much less to be spokespeople for Macy's. I mean I understand Martha Stewart knowing hip hop artists, she did some time in jail after all. But why would Usher be eager to be seen in a Macy's commercial with her while wearing a pink undershirt and a bright purple v-neck sweater. There's only one conclusion I can draw about him, and I'm not going to say it, but it rhymes with roofter, or hag, or slowmosexual. Which isn't a problem per se, but it kinda changes the meaning of all of the love songs he's put out. It certainly jeapardizes any and all of his credibility with some hip hop fans.

After being shocked by that, I continued to watch the Teenage Mutant Ninja Marketing movie. And to my surprise there were parts edited out for viewer content. I'm amazed that this movie, which I watched and owned as a child (first movie I ever bought by myself), now had parts that were deemed unfit for TV. Which is confusing to me because my parents had no problems letting me go see this movie. But they steadfastly held on to their belief that I shouldn't watch the Simpsons because it would corrupt my fragile little mind. What they allow in TV shows now is way more crazy and graphic then they allowed when I was a kid. Case-in-point is the A-Team, nobody ever got shot in that show, now you can't turn on a kid's show without watching someone get maimed. Apparently censoring has gone all silly, old movies allowed more in PG then they do now, and old cartoon shows allow less in children's viewing then they do now. All I know is I've got my tinfoil hat on and I'm ready for Martha Stewart to kick down my door with Usher!

No comments: