Monday, November 5, 2007

Death in the family

Saturday night we had a party at my house. Your standard Halloween fare, decorations and such and plenty of snacks and booze. I dressed up as a zombie which was really just an excuse to wear ratty clothes and not wear shoes around the house. We also had a house full of people dressed up as news reporters from "Anchorman" as upwards of 10 people dressed up as characters from that movie (a movie which inspires me to remember a myriad of emotions). All together I guess it was a decent party, some inspired costumes, some not so inspired costumes (wearing a Nationals jersey that you wear all the time and having a piece of tape that declares you "Benny the Jet Rodriguez" is not inspired...). The night went by without any real incidents that I am aware of...almost.

Several hours before the guests arrived I sat down to make a playlist on my Ipod for the party, because I like to keep up with all the greatest hits of the 80's, 90's, and today! As I plugged in my ipod to my computer I was greeted with a message that informed me that the Ipod was corrupt. Fucking great. It had been acting up on Friday and I had hoped nothing was wrong with this relic (3 years old!) but it was not to be. I looked at the ipod and was greated with a screen that had a exclamation point, and an anthropomorphic picture of my ipod with an unhappy face and two x's where the eyes should be...no joke. Here is my artist's rendition of what this screen looked like:



Nice. So it looked like I was not going to be able to play any of my music during the party. That and I had lost valuable data and other things which I would not be able to recover. I was heartbroken, I loved my Ipod, and his death left a hole in my heart. I thought that I would need to mourn for days and cry myself to sleep.

That was not to be the end of the Ipod, it would rise again with the aid of a mystery man. A guest arrived at our house and upon hearing my tale of woe he pulled me aside and said he could help. The told me that he is of a profession that I myself one day aspire to be. An appliance healer. A man of the cloth who uses his supernatural abilities to drive demons and disease from appliances and small electronic items. My saviour had arrived. He spoke of a healing art that would fix my Ipod and allow me to continue using it for many moons. He then proceeded to chant a quick healing prayer, and drop my Ipod from 5 feet up in the air.

My Ipod responded immediately, it had been healed by this miracle man, and all were able to listen to music of my choosing for most of the evening. I meant to have this healer look at my vacuum cleaner too, but he disappeared as mysteriously as he came into my house. Taking all his secrets and techniques with him. The Ipod played on into the night, until it froze up again, but by then it had played its purpose.

When morning arrived I looked around the house but my Ipod was nowhere to be found. That's right, my newly healed Ipod has disappeared, and after scouring the house dozens of times it appears to be lost. Is it possible that it was stolen? Yes, but that is unlikely. I have searched the house and am confident that my Ipod no longer resides here. The irony is of course that at first I thought my Ipod dead, only to see it arise from the ashes to live again, and then go missing. Some birds are far too beautiful to be caged, my Ipod is apparently one of these amazing creatures. I wish him well in whatever travels he may decide to undertake, and if he returns to me I promise to treat him with the utmost care and respect. If not, then I wish him well in his second life, however short that may be.

No comments: