Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Less Filling

Every time my father and stepmother throw a party I come over beforehand to help them set up. They usually do pretty well but they always forget at least one critical element of a party. When I say they, I mean my father because it is almost always his lack of forethought that ends up forgetting the critical element. For a man who is so big on having so much oversight, he oftentimes forgets fundamental necessities. Like trying to bake a cake and forgetting the flour, that's my father in a nutshell. In the past things left undone before I got to the house and realized the error and then had to fix them myself:
1) No ice 15 minutes before the party starts.
2) Forgot to pick up hor'devours from the restaurant which was a 15 minute drive away (I did not get a ticket).
3) After having set up all the drinks and food, I asked my father where all the non-alcoholic mixers and such were...he hadn't bought any...
I'm not sure what they will do when I move away, fly me in?

The latest christmas party my father had at his house. I arrived and while they were going to set up the food and whatever else. I was tasked with the simple job of putting up the christmas tree...which you would think is a task that would have been completed before hand considering they had the tree for 3 days. But regardless I set about my task. The ornaments that my father have are quite nice, and I marvelled at each one of them as I placed them on the tree. I tried my best to decorate the tree well, but my aesthetic taste is oftentimes lacking.

While I was pulling out the ornaments and putting them on the tree, I noticed a very nice Lehigh University Ornament. I looked at it and wondered where the hell they got that ornament from. So I asked my stepmother when they got it and she replied, "You gave that too us for christmas a couple years ago." I had honestly forgot that I had given them this magnificent ornament, and I felt dumb. To my step mom it might have seemed that I was trying to backhandedly brag about my good taste but that was not the case. I must admit it is somewhat awkward to really admire something someone has and then have them tell you that you were the one that gave it to them. I wonder if you did something bad to someone and forgot about it how would you feel? "Hey man where did you get that crazy scar?" "You gave it to me you asshole." Or even better, "Whoa who put that dent in your dog/mom." "You did you asshole."

No comments: