Sunday, December 2, 2007

Uhh...thanks?

Saturday night I went to the grocery store to get dinner and some other sundries (for information on my life read between the lines here, I was getting dinner, by myself, on a Saturday night). I picked up some precooked chicken and some other things and went to checkout. As the cashier rung up the chicken she looked at me and asked, "Have you ever had this before?" I naturally assumed that she was about to endorse how good this chicken was about to be because I've never had someone who I was buying something from tell me something negative about my food purchase.
"No, why?" I responded.
"Because it is the worst chicken I've ever had."
"Oh...thanks I guess."
"Oh I mean, well maybe you will think it's good, who knows maybe I just got a bad batch."
"Uhh yeah, if it sucks I'll put it in a salad or something."
Then she checked me out and I walked out with my terrible chicken.

She didn't give me the opportunity to go get something else. She just told me that I had made a terrible selection, how bad it was, and let me waddle out the door on my merry way. Well fuck me very much for your opinion on my food selection even though it may prove correct. I think there's a reason nobody has ever told me something discouraging about a food product I was about to consume from their store, it's because my expectations would be automatically lowered before I even took a bite.

No comments: