Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An old take on a new classic?

At a restaurant last night they had a piano player rocking out to all kinds of crazy tunes. He hit up Coldplay, and did "Under Pressure" by Queen, had some other really odd choices for piano tunes. You just don't expect to hear contemporary or classic rock songs coming from a piano at a nice restaurant like that. It was good don't get me wrong, but just odd that the selection of music was so eclectic given that there are so many great piano songs to choose from (my personal favorite is "Wonder Boy"). It's like if you were at a wedding, everyone was all dressed up nicely and it was elegant, then the DJ started playing KISS or NWA or something out of place. It just doesn't quite fit, like lounge music at a formal dinner (although if Richard Cheese was playing I'm sure it would be amazing).

The best was when the pianist started playing "Stairway to Heaven". Nothing like a little Led Zeppelin with your meal. The best part was during the song various people in my party would break out singing parts or doing air guitar, just rocking out and laughing at the piano cover of the greatest song ever. I especially enjoyed the part towards the end of the song where they have that huge Jimmy Page guitar solo and the song goes from being a soft calm song to a bit more rock and roll. You knew that the crescendo of a piano probably wasn't going to match the enthusiasm of a wicked sweet guitar solo, but the pianist did his best and had me rocking out in an odd setting (read: innappropriate). Although I guess it's not odd if the pianist at the restaurant is the one playing these rock hits, I was hoping him might break into some Black Sabbath or maybe some Aerosmith to go with my second glass of wine.

No comments: