Friday, October 12, 2007

Fans

I've been an Eagles (professional football) fan for the majority of my life. I grew up watching the Eagles not because I lived in Philadelphia (I didn't), but because my father loved the Eagles, and so did my late grandfather. Therefore whenever I was watching football when I was young with my father figures it was always the Eagles. In many ways I'm a pretty typical Eagles fan, cynical, critical, sarcastic. Watch an Eagles game with me sometime, try it, you will see a completely different person, then you would if you were around me in any other setting. If the Eagles are winning I will bitch that they aren't winning enough, they could and should be winning by more and they look really terrible regardless of how much they are winning by. Also if they are winning it is possible at any minute for them to be losing, this is a thought vocalized quite frequently between my father and I when we watch the Eagles. If they are losing...well let's not talk about the kind of language I use but needless to say you won't hear it in your local knitting club. When they are losing I expound about how every player should be traded, the coach should be fired, and the owner ought to be taken out back and shot. These are things that are attributable to your stereotypical Eagles fan, and in my case I fit the stereotype pretty well.

The other day I was talking to someone and we got into what our favorite NFL team was. I said the Eagles and they replied, "No way, I never see you wear any Eagles stuff." This is where I differ from many of my fellow Eagles fans, whereas even the most casual of fans may own a jersey or have a closet full of green, I don't. I don't feel like spending a ton of money on shirts or jerseys, or zubaz pants. I will now list all the Eagles items I own and where I got them from.
1) Eagles Sweatshirt that doesn't fit(grey with green logo on front)- Given to me by my late grandfather as a christmas gift, I keep it for sentimental value and because I don't like closet space.
2) Eagles Visor (Green and snazzy)- Given to me Senior year by a boss when I worked in the sports equipment department at my Alma Mater, he had it because the Eagles practice there during the summer (I have lots of stories about working around the Eagles when I worked during the summer).
3) Eagles hat (White with green/black brim)- Given to me Junior year by a boss when I worked in the sports equipment department at my Alma Mater, he had it because the Eagles practice there during the summer.
4) Eagles Doormat that is hidden in my storage room in the basement- Given to me last christmas by one of my roomates who thought it was hilarious that I had no Eagles stuff.

It's just not my thing, and I don't like the negative reaction or unnecessary conversations or irrational spite you get from some people when you are out in public wearing something with your team logo on it. I see it all the time and it pisses me off when people are jerks just because someone is wearing an opposing team's apparel. Whether it is someone being rude, saying something inappropriate, or in rare cases, doing something physical just because of a stupid shirt. I don't think it makes me less of a fan, but I just don't feel like declaring to the world what sports team I enjoy rooting for(actually in the case of the Eagles it's less enjoy then endure, because they fucking suck). If you really want to see how much I support the Eagles, watch a game with me, don't get on my case because I don't have a Randall Cunningham throwback jersey on underneath my business suit. Plus I look stupid in green anyway.

No comments: