Monday, October 22, 2007

The Quest for Pancakes

When I awoke from my 2 hours of sleep on Sunday morning I had an unnatural craving that had to be satisfied. Something that would ruin my life if I didn't quickly fill the void left by its absence. This was not something that I would normally need/want and I'm not sure what brought on my desire but I knew one thing, I had to have this thing. That thing was pancakes (yes I get that this was given away in the title of this post and it kills the suspense but I like the title so :P). I wanted them, I needed them, I would slowly descend into madness without their pancakey goodness to quench my bizarre desire. However, what should have been a simple, straightforward task became a quest that consumed far more time and effort then one would think, also I believe that pancakes steal a part of your soul. So I also eventually lost some of my soul, assuming I have any left.

This quest started with the realization that making pancakes by myself wasn't going to cut it. Both roomates were asleep and there is no practical reason to make pancakes for myself alone (practicality outweighing my desires...a common theme in my life), also i lacked the ingredients to create these ovals of delight. So that left the other option, the pancake repository (aka somewhere that would deliver unto me a feast of no less then three golden brown saucers of joy). Again this situation raises issues. Specifically the issue of dining alone, I'm not a big fan of going out to eat alone because the conversation is so much more one-sided. So I needed a companion for my pancake hunting expedition and since it was 530am I knew that I would have to wait for such a hero to emerge so I would be able to dine on the objects of my desire.

So I bided my time, managed to stave off insanity until 9 am. It was a struggle I must tell you... waking dreams of golden brown flapjacks, sweating visions of delicious syrup covered wonder...mmm. Those 3 and a half hours were my personnel hell, hungry, bored, violently attracted to a breakfast delicacy that I'm not accustomed to having. So the hour of 9 I was prepared to call my friend to get him to go to breakfast with me and lo and behold I got a phone call. This phone call required me to be on the phone for approximately 45 minutes. No big deal, still plenty of time for pancakes. So I quickly drove over to my buddies house and picked him up, 10am.

We contemplated where I could successfully devour pancakes, IHOP. So I drive to IHOP, and what do I see! I line out the door! So I drive to the Silver Diner, 45 minute wait and a line at the door and we're approaching 1030 and I want pancakes as bad as I've ever wanted anything in my life. Fuck! Every diner in time was booked. But then I had an idea...it was as if I'd been stuck by lightening. A small place right next to my house...Two Chefs...had I seen a sign in the window? No. Had I seen a menu? No. Pure luck and inspiration was what guided me and my stomach to this small establishment of bliss. We arrived, and they were open for breakfast, we went in and there was a booth open, no wait. We sat down next to an obnoxious family with two little girls and two grandmothers...that wasn't ideal but it was annoying...I don't know how that adds to the story. But 15 minutes later I was dining on exactly what I had been wanting so badly since 0530 that morning. It only took 5 1/2 hours.

So I returned home after eating pancakes, and what did I find? That's right, my roomates had woken up and made pancakes...at 10 am.

No comments: