Friday, February 29, 2008

Excellence

It's very rare that you see real excellence in your life. A performance that is so breathtaking that you can't shake it from your consciousness. How often has someone scored 100 points in a professional basketball game? How often have you seen a pitcher throw a perfect game, or someone act so perfectly in a movie that it seemed like you weren't watching a movie at all. How many excellent plans work perfectly and create amazing success? How often do you see someone win all the events in American Gladiators and then go wreck the travelator for victory? How often do you read something that is just mind blowingly excellent (certainly never here)? How often do you ever see true excellence?

That's why it brings me great pleasure to relate a story of excellence the likes of which I don't believe I've ever seen before. I'm writing this about my waiter Juan last week at Chevy's Mexican Grill. When I walked in for lunch and saw that Juan would be our waiter I had reservations (double entendre!). He looked a bit scruffy, maybe a bit tired and I thought I was in for a predictably mundane restaurant experience. I wasn't prepared for the unbelievable level of waiting I was in store for, a level of excellence I have never experienced before. He was quick to get our orders and drinks and he didn't even write them down. He was concise in his questions and got our drinks quickly. We never had to ask for him to refill our chip basket because there was already a new basket waiting for us before there was any chance of it becoming an issue. Drink refills? Don't be silly. That was child's play for Juan, who masterfully brought fresh drinks before anyone had a chance to think it. Our meals came out fresh and quick and were handled directly by Juan himself who needed no assistance from any of the other wait staff. Juan brought our check with aplomb and without any flourish or prompting from us. He simply smiled, and asked, "Do you need anything else? I'll take that when you are ready. Just put it down on the table." Then he sauntered off to do his magical work elsewhere. The second my credit card hit the table he picked it up, charged it, and I was signing the tab in seconds. Oh, and he brought us new drinks before he dropped off the check for me to sign, without being asked. They must have materialized in his magical hands because the whole process couldn't have taken more then 20 seconds.

Juan, you are the golden standard by which I will judge all waiters and waitresses in the future. The story of your excellence will be passed down to my children and hopefully my children's children. If I have my way it will become a movie, "The Legend of Juan: The Golden Waiter". It will star Antonio Banderas and feature a score by John Williams, we'll get Ron Howard to direct. The story will be about a waiter who served lowly federal employees and helped cure cancer while he brought more chips, all while facing a overbearing and risk taking boss who would barely give him a chance. He also taught sick school children the joy of dance, music, and laughter. If there is a heaven and I get in, I hope all the waiters are half as good as you were. I will always remember you Juan, and although I think it is unlikely, I hope you remember me. I was the chubby guy in the business suit who gave you a 35% tip, and although that might not seem like much, I already tipped you 100% of my heart.

No comments: