Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Valentine's Folly

The following is an anecdote about my father. My father is a man of many flaws, much like his son only with less hair. Oftentimes he will shirk personal appointments and relationships to concentrate on work, also much like his son. One of his continual flaws is his inability to correctly prepare for any significant holiday or anniversary. So with Valentine's Day approaching I naturally assumed I would have to help him get a last second gift for his wife. It has happened several times in the past on Valentine's day and other day's of significance (Wife's birthday, anniversary, christmas..etc.) that he has needed me to run around and help him so he doesn't get in trouble. It doesn't always work.

I sat down with my father for lunch on Valentine's Day and to my surprise he was on the ball for the first time that I can remember. He had actually ordered flowers to be delivered to my step mother's office the day before. What he hadn't counted on was the weather, and the snow we got on the night of the 12th left enough ice that she decided to work from home. So my father's pre-planning was ruined. He was forced to go out to the store, buy some flowers, and hide them in the car over night. In the morning he woke up and placed them on the kitchen counter so that she would get them when she came downstairs. His day was saved, it was romantic and all was well right? Wrong.

He calls my stepmother when she gets to work and asked if she got the flowers he sent her the day before. She said no and had to go looking for them. She talked to 2 receptionists, the mail manager, and several other people before finding her flowers. Someone that she works with had taken the flowers off her desk, and placed them on her own desk without leaving a note for my stepmother using some half brained excuse to do so. This woman also happens to be my stepmothers rival. Take a moment to think about how a woman might feel if flowers from her husband were misappropriated by someone else without any notice left behind. Now think about it but the women are rivals. Needless to say she was upset and what had actually seemed like a pretty good plan by my father ended up backfiring through no fault of his own. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men. I'll tell you what though, if some bitch ever steals flowers off my desk that my man (joke!) sent me I'll fight her ass on the spot. Won't be no talking, just a good ole fashioned throwdown. I'll choke a bitch for that shit.

No comments: