Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Fluffy Kittens AHHHHHH!

When most people have dreams about petting a cute white kitten they don't normally react as though it were a nightmare. Luckily I'm not most people. Sunday night in the 3ish hours of "sleep" I got, I awoke several times in a frightened nervous mood from seemingly benign dreams. Nothing scary or ominous about the dreams, but I awoke as if they were nightmares of the most horrific kind. Weird right? I mean, I don't even normally have lucid dreams, most of the time I don't dream at all. But on this given night I had a series of dreams that weren't scary at all, but that didn't change my state of terror when I woke up suddenly. Maybe someone somewhere was wishing ill of me.

One of them as I mentioned involved me petting a cute kitten. The kitten was purring in my lap and I thought, wow this is a nice dream, what a delightful encounter. This kitten was no doubt eating my very soul! Preparing to rend me with his really sharp kitten claws and then run around at night when I'm sleeping (kittens night run). In one of them I was eating dinner at a nice restaurant, nothing odd about it, but I still woke up as if I was being chased by the devil himself in my dream. Looking back on it I'm sure that the restaurant must have been serving food for the damned, otherwise why would I have awoken with such bad thoughts? Lastly I was driving a car, nothing special about the car as far as I could tell. I wasn't about to get in an accident or hit someone. But when I shot up from my pillow I was as scared as I've ever been. I think now that the car must have been talking to me and calling me Michael and I had sweet hair.

I'm sure there is a simple explanation. I know one of my roomate was waking up with nightmares when I was, both because I could hear him wake up at the same time as me, and because we talked about it the day after. The wind was also going nuts all night and I'm sure that produced some loud noises that woke me. But now I'm afraid to dream at all, what if all of my calm dreams make me awake in fear? I don't want regular dreams…what if I wake up afraid from a lovemaking dream with the love of my life? I don't want that. Bring on the nightmares, the terribly odd dreams about me being chased or something. Then I'll wake up dependably shaken. Nothing like consistency to calm yourself. Forget these benign simple cute dreams, christ those are scary, give me all the fear I can handle, that way I understand why I woke up scared. Also beware of cute kittens, as they are likely the harbingers of dooooooom.

No comments: