Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ouch Expensive

I'm spending more money at the grocery store then ever before, like high class hooker money. Certainly more then I was spending in DC, probably by a factor of at least 2. In DC I used to go grocery shopping once or twice a month, now I go at least once a week, sometimes up to 3 times. I'm not sure how I shopped so infrequently in DC, but I did. Now I keep all this fresh produce and meat and healthy food around. Well I keep some around, I still don't keep very much food in the house but certainly enough for a week. I'm not sure why I decided to start eating all this healthy stuff and skip eating out for dinner. But I've got carrots, celery, and different kinds of lettuce, and fresh deli meat and even milk in the fridge! It's all so strange. I don't keep anything that's not fresh, it's a pretty drastic change from when I was living in DC. No cans of spagetti-o's or chili, no frozen pizzas. I literally run out of yogurt every week, as opposed to letting it languish in the fridge till it's bad. It's kinda strange.

Overall I think it's very good. It is allegedly healthy and that's supposed to be good right? But I look at my credit card statement and the food bills from grocery stores are way up. I think that the receipts from restaurants are way down, but I'd actually have to do research for that and I don't really feel like doing the work. But eating much better is great, I think in some small way it makes up for the fact that I don't sleep very much. Plus I get to cook for myself more and more if I want to. I like cooking, I just don't do it terribly often since there's nobody to cook for but myself. Kinda silly to spend a half hour or longer cooking for only me. Unless I am trying to seduce myself, in which case I better get home and shave and start cooking before I lose interest in myself and it doesn't matter what I cook...

No comments: