Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wildly Unacceptable

So I caught a commercial for a show last night while eating my home made stir fry (which was fantastic, I love cooking) for some news program that was going to tour a chef's house. I was thinking how uncool it would be if they opened this guy's fridge and there was nothing but leftovers, condiments, and instant pizzas in the freezer. You know, just like a normal guy's fridge. He'll have 6 beers, no 2 of which are the same type, and some vegetables stuffed into the back of the fridge with like, a little mold. Then you look in the sink and there's four days worth of dirty dishes. All of this would just be completely unacceptable from a gourmet chef. "Uhh I don't really like to keep any food in the house."

It might cause kind of a scandal and people might not understand. But if you think about it, maybe it makes sense. I mean these chefs spend all day every day cooking and maybe they just don't feel like taking their work home. It would be like if a professional landscaper had terrible landscaping or a gardener having weeds everywhere in their yard. It would be pretty bad, but I could totally see it. It could be even more drastic in some cases, like a child psychologist having two total brats for kids. Maybe they just don't like plying their trade at home, they've been on on the job all day and now it's time to relax. The sad thing is that if enough people saw it that those people's lively hood would likely be negatively affected.

In the end I'm sure that most professional chefs have amazing kitchens at home. They probably stock everything they could possibly need to cook something nice and their kitchen is spotless. But I bet just like the rest of us there are days when it's time to just come home, pop open a can of Chef-Boy-ardee and watch Oprah or whatever the hell normal people do. I take my work home with me all the time, but you don't see me financial analyzing every night. I'll be damned if I'm going to have nothing in the fridge though, and my lawn and landscaping need to be fabulous.

No comments: